You've probably heard of Cleopatra, the ancient Egyptian ruler renowned for her beauty. You may have also heard stories of her bathing in milk and honey. Whether or not that’s true, it’s certainly not surprising that the story has persisted for so long. Honey has a tremendous soothing effect on the skin and acts as a powerful antiseptic. Additionally, honey is a great natural substitute for refined sugar.
Here are some uses for honey you may not already know...
1. Relieve Hangovers. Had a little too much fun last night? Honey is packed with fructose and a few tablespoons will help speed up your body’s metabolism of alcohol.
2. Heal Wounds, Cuts, Scrapes & Burns. Don’t reach for the Neosporin the next time you cut or burn yourself — simply apply honey to the affected area. Honey works as a natural antiseptic.
3. Soothe Sore Throats and Coughs. Combine honey with the juice of one lemon and drink. It works like a wonder!
4. Remove Parasites. Hopefully you’ll never have to use this trick, but if you do, combine equal parts honey, vinegar and water and drink. The combination of these three ingredients is the perfect parasite killer.
5. Moisturize Dry Skin. Honey is a fantastic moisturizer, especially on dry patches, like your elbows or hands — even your lips! Rub onto your dry skin and let it sit for about 30 minutes before washing off. Honey also makes a great lip balm!
6. Condition Damaged Hair. Honey is a great natural conditioner. You can simply add a teaspoon of honey to your regular shampoo to smooth your damaged locks. You can also combine it with olive oil for a deeper conditioning. Let it soak for 20 minutes with your hair wrapped in a towel before shampooing as usual.
7. Have an Amazing Bath. Relax your body and soak your skin in a soothing bath. Add 2 tablespoons of honey to 1 cup of hot water and let it dissolve for about 10 minutes. Add 2 or 3 drops of lavender essential oil and add it to your bath.
8. Remove Acne. Stubborn acne can really benefit from a small daily dab of honey. Place a band-aid over the pimple, and remove 30 minutes later.
9. Give Yourself a Facial. Combine 2 teaspoons of milk with 2 tablespoons of honey. Cover your face with the mixture and let it sit for 10 minutes before washing off.
10. Energy Boost. Quit turning to coffee for your daily energy boost! Replace your cup of coffee with a cup of tea. Mix in a tablespoon or so of Buzz + Bloom Honey.
11. Substitute Honey for Sugar in Baking. For every cup of sugar a recipe calls for, replace it with 3/4 cup of honey. For best results, add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda and reduce another liquid in your recipe by 1/4 cup. Also, reduce the oven temperature by 25 degrees.
12. Make Almond Milk from Scratch. You’ll find a great recipe here.
13. Make Infused Honeys. Why have plain old regular honey when you can have ginger lime honey or hot pepper honey?! For these and more infused honey recipes, click here.
Article Source: Care2